Long overdue updates!

Hello everyone! It has been a very long time since I’ve made any new posts to this blog- almost 4 years! A lot has been going on in that time. I went back to school, worked on some incredible photo history projects, had two beautiful kids, travel abroad for conferences and begun teaching college courses. There’s a lot of other stuff as well, and I would like to make more posts about it here. Even though I no longer live in Japan, I want to share with you my Japan-related photo historical work. I have created a new website for my research at Photografi.ca. Check it out if you have a chance!

OK, so, let me give you a few bullet points of the big milestones since I left Japan:

2014 - My wife and I left Japan to travel for 6 months, in part to celebrate our honeymoon, and in part to see friends and family we hadn’t seen for years. We spent time in Toronto with my Mom, and rung in the New Year in Cincinnati with my brother and his family.

2015 - Our honeymoon kicked into high gear in February when we traveled to Nicaragua to stay with my Dad. It had been quite a few years since I had seen him. We ended up staying a few months, and had a great time exploring the country, and learning about its art history and culture scenes.

- We returned to Toronto in May, and found out we were having a baby! I also learnt that I’d been accepted into grad school., so we decided to stay in Toronto.

- I began my Masters degree in Film + Photographic Preservation and Collections Management at Ryerson UNiversity in September. This is a two year, intensive program on photographic history and research, collections management, and photographic preservation. It was hard. There were a lot of new things to learn and a lot of hard choices to make in order to choose my thesis project, but more on that later.

2016 - Our daughter was born with the New Year

- Later that spring I began my internship at The Royal Ontario Museum, in the Asian art and culture collection. I couldn’t have hoped for a better placement, as I was again surrounded by beautiful art from Asia.

- I got tow work on The Family Camera and The Family Camera Network archive while at the museum, two unforgettable experiences that cemented my commitment to photographic history research.

- Attended a great workshop on digital photography preservation at the Rochester Institute of Technology and visited the George Eastman Museum.

2017

- I co-curated my first exhibition at the Ryerson Image Centre’s Student gallery with my classmates. The exhibit was based on materials in the Art Gallery of Ontario’s collection, and it was a great success.

- In January I began my residency at the ROM, and would spend the next six months there working with the collection, The Family Camera project, and my thesis.

- I attended an important workshop by the Canadian Conservation Institute on digital preservation and media carrier preservation.

- Found out were were going to be parents a second time!

- Earned my new degree and graduated with the broadest smile on my face!

- I began working for the museum in the Asian art and culture department.

- One of my articles on 19th Century Japanese photography was published in the U.K.

2018

- Our son was born in the spring!

- I attended a photo history conference in the U.K., and visited London, Lyme Regis, Leicester, Edinburgh and St Andrews. Got to meet a lot of amazing people in the field of photo research.

- Began teaching Liberal Studies courses at Seneca College

- Began a new position in a different department at the Museum

- Invited to present my photographic research on late Meiji Japan at a conference in Tel Aviv.

2019

- Lots of free-lance and consulting jobs related to photo history and collections management and exhibition installations.

- began giving more public talks about my work at historical societies

- Writing updates for this blog.

Comments

Popular Posts